Monday, August 12, 2013

THree divergent drafts of the poem Daughter, Anathema Blues

DIVERGING DAUGHTERS












Here are three divergent versions of the poem Daughter from Anathema Blues.  This is obvious mythos storytelling as I have no daughters in the biological sense. The father is a traveler from a night of a new moon.  The night of a new moon is the most shadowed heavy night.

 I recall the boat and water imagery sources from the pond at the Black House/Black Castle, Stone Mountain, Georgia from 2005-2008 autumns. 

THe unicorn image is all ambiguous sexual mythos.  The peacock imagery sources from the memories of seeing and photographing real live peacocks in a Louisville Kentucky Cemetery way back in 2003ish...? 

The language is flowery and exaggerated into fantastic stupidity.  Shape shifting into birds goes contra against the mythic crypto nonsense of the medieval unicorn. 

THe masculine rhinoceros feminized into the slinky feminine of the horse with a phallic horn. 

The natural runs contra and friction against the fantastical reaches/wretches of the unicorn.

The narrator drifting into sleep within the first two versions reveals a lack of imagination--a real lousy excuse for the fantastical to conveniently manifest.

I agree and disagree with all these comments.  This poem may not even make the bound version of the book.

ANy poem is my daughter, son or childhood.

The photographs source from the Proctor lost photograph archive.  I believe the girl is a great great Aunt who passed away unfortunately around the age of 11 or 12 years old.  The man in the fotograph is her father.  He was an officer in the Rome, Georgia Police Department.


My daughteR (Anathema Blues Draft II)


When I go to sleep. When I drift to sleep. ThaT weird TimE I must feel vital in LifE… My daughter shape shifts into a unicorn.  My beloved mutilates into a unicorn. 

My daughter is my wife.  My beloved mutilates and untwines into a peacock……into a screech owL.  

When I fall hard into my death bed, my daughter leaves our small old farmhouse through the backdoor and the back porch screen door slams and daughter walks into the rain

my daughter is the water, boat beating with rain----

Her spectacle Spectacular spector ravishing, her promenading toward us with pale face straining eyes, She was rising into slumber sexualizing the various chorusing morning choirs and the cry of warning and forget-me-not came into his filled with water and the directions that were futile---



My daughteR (ANathema Blues Draft III)


When I drift to sleep. ThaT only TimE I must feel vital in LifE… My daughter shape shifts into a unicorn.  My beloved mutilates into a unicorn.

My daughter is my wife.  My beloved mutilates and untwines into a peacock--

When I fall hard into my death bed, my daughter leaves our small old farmhouse through the backdoor and the back porch screen door slams and daughter walks into the milky rain

my daughter is the water, boat beating

I am the fishing boat full with rain and leaves.





DaughteR (Anathema Draft SIX)


My daughter shape shifts into a unicorn.  My beloved mutilates into a unicorn.  My daughter is my wife.  My beloved mutilates the un twining into a peacock

I recall a memory inside a Louisville, KentuckY graveyard--

When I fall hard into my death bed, my daughter leaves our small old farmhouse through the backdoor and the back porch screen door slams and daughter walks into the rain

My daughter is the water, boat beating

I am the fishing boat full-- with rain and autumn  bright crimson leaves

















No comments:

Post a Comment